Monday, November 15, 2010

Getting What We Ask For

In Matthew's gospel there is a verse given that is quite refreshing. It goes like this, "Ask and it shall be given you." I don't know about you but I think that's some kind of promise. While it builds my faith it also creates questions for me. I can't help but ask, "do we always receive what we ask for?" The reason I even dare to question such a thing is because there have been times when in my asking for something it appeared that God did not hear or He gave me right the opposite of what I wanted. This could be disconcerting but the following words help me to keep things in perspective. I hope they do the same for you.
I asked God for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing I asked for but everything I hoped for;
In spite of myself, my prayers were answered -
I am among all men most richly blest.
God in His infinite wisdom does answer. The thing I must remember is to the take what he gives me. Although it may not look like what I asked for, it will be exactly what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment