Monday, March 7, 2011

The Holy Land

I am presently on my sixth tour in the Holy Land. It’s hard to describe how special this place is. Although I have been here several times, the atmosphere, sights, and spiritual intensity is always fresh and new. Over the last three days we have been in Turkey visiting the Seven Churches of Asia Minor. If you remember Jesus gave a special message to each of these churches in the book of Revelation. As we have continued our journey we have crossed over into Israel, taking in sights such as: Caesarea Philippi, Mount Carmel, and the Sea of Galilee. Tomorrow we head to Jerusalem. Each of these places holds historical as well as great spiritual significance. For instance, one cannot reflect upon these places and rehearse Christ’s words without feeling a sense of personal conviction. With each story it becomes apparent that we have an experience but yet lack the sacrifice of those who preceded us in the faith. Also, because of the state of the church today we realize that Christ is once again speaking to us as he did to the Seven Churches and we are seeing the fulfillment of the message. I find myself asking “which church am I a part of and how scraficial am I willing to be? While I fight the temptation to speak endlessly about these issues and my exciting journey, let me conclude. During the next few days we will wrap up our trip with Golgotha and the garden tomb. What a dramatic finish! Should not everything we do end with the cross. Should not every idea, determination and deed be placed on the cross? Should not everything we do stand the test of resurrection? In the words of Watchman Nee, “only that which can enter death, survive the tomb, and end in resurrection is truly worthwhile in ministry. May this be the test of our lives as we continue to serve him.

No comments:

Post a Comment