Sunday, June 12, 2011

Fear That Restrains

This past week after two years of prodding I finally got my two oldest grandchildren to go bike riding on the Creeper Trail. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this tourist hot spot, it is the remains of an old railroad bed that stretches some 34 miles from Abingdon through Damascus to its highest peak at White Top Virginia. It is open to hiking and horseback riding but most people take in the sights by biking. The scenery is absolutely beautiful and serves as great therapy for anyone needing to get away into the wild. After having been shuttled up the mountain we began our descent back down. Needless to say, the children loved it. While we were riding I continued to say to them, "I knew you would love it." So why did it take so long to get them on the trail? They were afraid. Without even seeing the trail they had imagined that the mountains were steep and too dangerous to ride. This conclusion came although I had continually told them that the ride down the mountain was only on a slight grade and at times would require peddling. Regardless of what I said they let fear get the best of them until I finally said, "we're going and that's it." Isn't that the way we are with God at times. He says "come with me to the mountain; I have some things to show you." But because of fear we are hesitant and begin to imagine only the worst. When we finally do acquiesce and make the journey we find the experience to be much more than we dreamed possible. In those moments when we hear God's voice calling us, we cannot allow our preconceived fears to hold us back, rather may we respond by saying, "where do we start and when do we begin? I'm ready for the mountain."

No comments:

Post a Comment