Sunday, April 22, 2012

Out of Date

A few days ago I came home from a heavy day at the office excited about relaxing and sitting down to a quiet meal.  Looking into the refrigerator, I thought a garden salad would be the very thing to appease my appetite.  Moments later there it was; lettuce, tomato, asparagus, cheese, and bacon.  All that was left to make this the perfect meal was the dressing.  I reached and grabbed my favorite, the Honey Mustard. Looking at the label I realized it was out of date. For fear of getting food poisoning I tossed it into the garbage and reached back into the ice box pulling out the Ranch. Of course this was not what I wanted but thought it will do. Disappointment came again as the expiration date came into view. Repeating my actions, I reached once more inside and pulled out what was to be my last resort—the Italian. Tell me who likes Italian? That salad lost so much of its appeal because I had to settle for something less than what I wanted.  Often we find ourselves facing this dilemma. Just when you need something the most you find it’s out of date. While this can be said of the natural world, the spiritual is another matter. God’s promises are never out of date. They are always ready for use. As a matter of fact, the Bible tells us that His promises are “Yea and amen.”  That means they never expire. Someone told me recently that because of the preservatives, “Twinkies” have a 100 year shelf life. That’s great but it does not supersede the eternal. God has given us His word which carries an eternal guarantee. You can’t find a deal like that anywhere else in the world. Because of this, let me encourage you to revisit those promises you have let slip from your repertoire of faith. Doing so will allow you to tap into an up-to-date reservoir experiencing all you will ever need.

No comments:

Post a Comment