Sunday, May 13, 2012

Honoring Mothers


We are celebrating Mother’s Day today.  It is an event that comes on the calendar once a year. However our appreciation should never be limited to a single day. As we honor this occasion, I cannot help but ask, “Who would be classified as the greatest mother of all time?” Of course my own mother should be considered as a candidate.  She was very careful in providing the proper amount of love, discipline, and care early in my life. And while I love her dearly, she would not receive my vote. My wife and the mother of our two children should not be overlooked either. She was and continues to be the epitome of dedication in the role of being a parent. In spite of my unending appreciation for her she would not be my choice either. Upon that ballot, I would have to write the name Mary, the mother of Jesus. Why would she be considered the greatest?  It would not be because of her lineage. She came from a very poor family and from an obscure village. It would not be because of her great accomplishments.  She did not offer any of the things that normally place people in the arena of greatness. She authored no books, painted no pictures, and recorded no songs.  Yet she was great!  The reason, she exemplified that incredible trait that all of us need and that is the ability to sacrifice oneself totally for God. She exposed herself to rejection, ridicule, and reprimand for the sake of submitting to the will of God. Although she did not understand everything asked of her, she humbly submitted to it.  She teaches us the lesson that greatness is not measured by what we are able to receive but what we are willing to give up. Her response should be one pursued by all, “Let it be unto me according to your word.” That attitude not only allows us to reflect upon and honor the dedication of Mary but also positions us for greatness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment