Monday, September 17, 2012

The Protection Prayer Provides

If we are not careful we can forget about the protection of prayer. When the Jews were threatened with annihilation Esther said, “Let’s pray.” When Peter was put in prison and faced impending death at the hand of Herod, the church said, “Let’s pray.”  They did so because they believed in the power of prayer.  Multitudes of contemporaries share that same belief.  One such case is told by Evangelist Billy Kim about a soldier in the Korean War. The soldier’s superior told him to go out search and rescue the wounded. He said, “I will sir,” but remained in his bunker monitoring his watch. Shortly thereafter the same superior came by again and gave a second order. “We have wounded soldiers out in the field, go search and rescue them.” Once again the soldier said, “I will sir” but stood still looking at his watch. At a certain hour the man jumped up and said, “Now I am ready to go.” He goes out and rescues his fallen comrades all night long. Later he was approached by a fellow soldier and asked, “Man why did you disobey the commander’s orders? What were you thinking?” He replied, “I’m embarrassed to tell you this but I don’t know God and I’m afraid of dying.” He continued, “Before I left home my mother gave me a bible and told me, ‘Son at a certain hour every day I promise I will be on my knees in prayer for you.’ I waited to go until I knew it was the hour my momma would be in prayer. I knew it would be okay because she was praying.” What a wonderful consolation we have in knowing that we are protected by the prayers of our family, our friends, and most of all our Savior. So, be encouraged as you reflect upon the protection prayer provides.       

No comments:

Post a Comment