Sunday, October 14, 2012

Running Late?


Life is filled with strange events and I had one of those on Sunday. After the morning services we made our way to lunch and then quickly returned home. This gave us just a few minutes to rest before driving to the church for a scheduled 5:00 o’clock meeting. I thought “a short nap would be just the thing to provide that extra boost of energy before reporting back for duty.” Once awake, I began to pray for the evening service. Phyllis asked, “Are you ready to go?”  My reply was, “I’m getting there.”  The meeting was at the forefront of my mind. It was not forgotten, but for some weird reason I surmised my departure time would get me to the church twenty minutes early so there was no need to rush.  Once again, my wife asked, “Are you not leaving you’re going to be late.”  It was only at that moment that it registered with me. Through a miscalculation of the time it dawned on me that I was not going to arrive early but was actually going to be ten minutes late. Panic hit. How could this happen? How could I have made such a mistake?  Needless to say it was embarrassing to enter a room filled with new members and offer my confession. This experience reminded me of the passage in 1 Chronicles that states there were men of Issachar “that had understanding of the times to know what Israel should do.”  It seems as if we are now seeing our nation mesmerized by politics and moral instability to the point that it has lost all sense of time.  Those given to serious spiritual intuition know that the meeting scheduled by the Father with the Son is imminent.  Yet, we see people running to and fro feeling no sense of emergency. It is quite apparent that they have miscalculated the time without realization that they are running late. To save embarrassment it is my prayer that we as a nation, church and people will regain our spiritual equilibrium. I pray we will regain the insight of the sons of Issachar and understand where we are and what needs to be done that we may show up on time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment