Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Familiar Friend


One of the worst things to happen to an individual is to become too familiar with the familiar. The end result--we take advantage of and take for granted that precious commodity that gives life.  This can happen with a mother, father, sister, brother, a husband or wife. We get so accustomed to their being at our disposal that we fail to appreciate all they do for us. Such familiarity has caused untold hearts to ache and has drawn tears from many an eye. While it is certainly bad to treat our family with such disregard, it becomes even worse when the Holy Spirit is involved.  In a time of reflection this week I have given serious thought to that possibility.  I never want to appear unappreciative to those who pray for me, hold my hand, and offer encouraging words during the good times as well as the bad. I especially do not want to treat the Spirit this way. He is my comforter and helper and offers assistance far beyond what others do. So the prayer of my heart is not to become too familiar with the familiar.  The passion within me is to wake up every day feeling as if I had met the Holy Spirit for the first time, yet yield to Him as if we had been friends forever.  The thought of hearing His voice is wonderful but to know that voice is even more wonderful. Individual familiarity is not a bad thing unless you forget how special the person is.   For all of us the Holy Spirit is beyond special, and forever remains available as our familiar Friend.        

No comments:

Post a Comment