Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Need for Adjustment


There are times when my back gives me problems.  It can do great for several months then suddenly an old injury reoccurs when I bend the wrong way or pick up something I should not pick up without using the proper technique.  When this happens I call my chiropractor and set up an appointment.  He checks me over and normally says, “You have some things out of alignment.” He proceeds to give me an adjustment.”  In about two sessions I am feeling fine again.  The same holds true with many areas of our prayer life. Normally we get out of alignment when we pick up too many burdens or we bow the wrong way. That’s why Jesus gave us a model to follow. He said pray like this, “Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.” In this admonition He gives us the object of our prayers which keep us from twisting and turning in the wrong direction.  He gives us provision which keeps us from spraining muscles trying to provide for ourselves.  He gives us freedom which keeps us from bulging discs and the possibility of ruining our posture by carrying the unnecessary guilt of sin. He gives us protection which keeps us from dislocating our joints by trying to maneuver through temptation.  So often we find ourselves needing an adjustment not because of the lack of prayer but the use of improper techniques.  This brings to mind the originating cause of my first back problem.  It came as I was putting my infant daughter to bed.  She was far from being too heavy for me to carry, however when I went to lower her onto the pillow rather than bending my knees I extended myself over the bed and suddenly a sharp pain shot through me. Simply stated, I had used the wrong technique. The periodic reoccurrences of my injury remind me of the constant need for adjustment and realignment. The same holds true of my spiritual life.  More frequently than I wish to admit I find myself praying unproductive prayers due to my abandonment of the prayer model Jesus provided. This wonderful mode of communication was never meant to be a burden but a blessing. When we find ourselves praying without praising, begging without brokenness, fretting without forgiveness, and tempted without trusting we have gotten out of alignment. It’s a common injury that comes with a common fix—an adjustment. While my chiropractor does wonders for my back the Holy Spirit does the same for my spiritual life. His hand placed in the appropriate spot provides the needed relief that brings me back into alignment with God’s predetermined will for my life. The same holds true for all who seek Him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment