Sunday, July 28, 2013

Watching Replays


The other night I came home from church and decided to watch the replay of the Open Championship. When leaving earlier several players were in contention but none were ahead enough to potentially declare a winner. As I was watching, a friend called and told me Phil Mickelson had won. Several emotions stirred within me when hearing the news. The first was disappointment. Each golfer was on the last half of the match and no one likes to hear the results prematurely. The second was surprise. I never thought Phil had a chance. To me he appeared to be a long shot if one were betting on who would take home the trophy.  The third was elation. Mickelson is one of those professionals with a bag full of class.  He is a fan favorite and someone I love to see win. Although, hearing the news I continued to watch to see the genius strokes that brought the victory. The next morning at breakfast I told Marsha, a house guest of ours, what I had done.  I said to her, “I watched the replay of the golf game last night and guess what, Phil Mickelson won again.”  Then it dawned on me, it doesn’t matter how many times that replay is shown, Phil will always be declared the winner. It doesn’t matter if others dislike the results, despise him, if they want their favorite golfer to be declared the champion, the results remain unchanged.  However, the best news for you and me is this. The same holds true in our spiritual lives.  We as children of God have been declared winners. Regardless of how much the enemy tries to hold us in contempt, condemn us, or cries for a change of venue, it does not change the verdict. We are “more than conquerors through him that loves us and gave his life for us.” So if you are ever in question go back and watch the replay. Phil still has the title and the trophy. As a believer you do to. Replays are the past that enable us to see the results in the present. Jesus said “It is finished.” That replay declaring your victory is always available for review and holds the timeless truth that our championship remains—past, present, and future.       

No comments:

Post a Comment