Sunday, December 1, 2013

Getting Our Attention

During my teenage years I lived in Jellico, a small town next to the Kentucky line. In that town they had a special way of alerting people to a crisis.  It was a loud siren blast that could be heard throughout the city.  As a matter of fact I checked and they still use it today. If I remember correctly the long blast rallied the fire department and the shorter one was for the rescue squad. That shorter blast was something that especially got my attention because at that time I served as a volunteer. There were many nights when I would hear that familiar sound and would crawl out of bed get dressed and head to the Squad building to see what crisis we were responding to.  The point is, that sound got my attention. This leads me to ask, “If you were trying to get someone’s focus, how would you do it?” More importantly, “How does God get our attention?”  When we walk in the Spirit it’s easy to detect his voice.  However, the problem is, we do not always walk accordingly. Sometimes we lean to the flesh and when that happens it is much more difficult.  The good thing is God has ways of gaining our undivided attention. At times He uses a restless spirit or unusual circumstances. During other seasons of life He may use people, financial struggles or unanswered prayer.  Regardless of the way He does it, He never gives up until He has accomplished His purpose. Is it possible that you have encountered strange events in your life that sound similar to that of a siren’s blast? If so you may want to stop, stand still and listen.  Ironically there were those occasions in my younger years when we experienced false alarms meaning we were not needed. However, with God this is not the case. Whenever, He sounds the alarm everyone is to stand in preparation to receive orders. The sound of the siren definitely means He wants our attention.