Sunday, March 30, 2014

Checking Out

Have you ever stayed at a bad motel? A few years ago my family and I went to the General Assembly in San Antonio Texas. We had booked rooms at a place we had only been told about by some friends.  Because it was during a time when we were struggling financially, the place seemed like a good deal. As expected, the price was right, but the environment was not.  The motel was in a rough section of town and each day presented us with unusual entertainment. I remember some former church members who lived in the city coming to pick Phyllis and me up. They took one look at the place and asked, “How in the world did you wind up here?” We thought about changing, but rooms were limited and we rationalized our decision to stay with the thought, “We’re only going to be here for a few nights.” The same can be said of this world. It’s nothing more than a bad motel. And the way we maintain hope is by reminding ourselves, “We’re only going to be here for a few days.” That seems to be the message Jesus was relaying when He looked into the eyes of his listeners and said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” God’s plan for us never involved our being checked into this world indefinitely. Earth’s bad motel was only to be a temporary residence. And from the signs of the time we are seeing everywhere it appears that our checkout date is upon us. We are hearing the sounds of war, witnessing natural disasters, seeing the resurgence of incurable diseases, feeling the rumble of earthquakes in unique places, and the decline of morality in an unprecedented fashion. All of these are indicators given as a prelude to the Lord’s return; signs alerting us of the need to get up, pack up, and look up because at any moment we will be checking out!     
        



No comments:

Post a Comment