Sunday, July 13, 2014

Keeping in Tune

The writer of Proverbs wrote, “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” This verse reminds me of an experience I had with my grandfather several years ago before he died.  He and I were having a conversation when he happened to mention his old blue Ford pick-up truck needed a tune-up.  Being a benevolent grandson, and hoping to save Papaw money I volunteered to do the job.  Experience was not an issue since I had spent my high school years working at a service station. He was appreciative that I was willing to do the job so we set the date to get it done.  We purchased all of the necessary parts and I showed up at his house the day the work was to be completed.  At that time I was working at American Enka Corporation and happened to be on the evening shift which meant my time was limited. With tools in hand, I raised the hood pulled out the old plugs and replaced them; next came the distributor. The cap was removed along with the old points and the new ones attached. Meticulously I set the cap back in place and tightened the screws. The final part of the task was to start the motor and listen to it pur. However, disappointment came when the engine would not crank. Surprised, I retraced my steps checking every part that had been replaced which revealed nothing. Needless to say I worked feverishly to try and get the truck started but had no success. Finally, I had to leave for work telling Papaw that I had no idea what the problem was. He later called a mechanic friend who towed the vehicle to his shop and eventually got the engine running.  The problem—I had twisted the distributor cap when reattaching it. What was intended to be a money saving project eventually cost more in the long run. How often do we allow people to mess with our hearts who claim to be experienced when in reality they are novices? God knew the problem with this tendency so He warned us to “keep our hearts” with tedious care. Surrendering your heart to anyone or anything outside of God will cost you tremendously. It will create discouragement, pain, and eventual perplexity. He is the only one that can tune us up and keep our spiritual lives running smoothly. So save yourself the trouble, and forget about the expense; call on the Chief Technician. In doing so you will demonstrate what it means to “guard your heart.”         


No comments:

Post a Comment