Sunday, August 3, 2014

Clothed From Above

Last fall one of my members gave Phyllis and me a variety of lilies. They were in small pots and each had a name attached.  While elated by the gift, I had no idea the beauty contained within each plant because at that point I only had a name. Over the next couple of days with shovel in hand I meticulously planted each one. This involved digging the right size hole, fertilizing the plants, and covering them with ample amounts of mulch.  After that I waited with great anticipation for growth to come.  We experienced a colder than usual winter and I wondered if the flowers would survive.  However, when spring arrived to my surprise the buds began to shoot forth. With each passing day I watched them grow and mature into magnificent beautiful flowers. Some were yellow, orange, and purple; others were multicolored. But each one displayed its own artistic grandeur. As I toured the yard giving each lily my undivided attention, the words of Jesus spoken in Matthew 6:28-29 rang in my ears. "So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.” It is in this parable that those specializing in horticulture as well as the casual observer such as myself realize such clothing is not to be found at Lowe's, Home Depot, or the best Landscaping nurseries in the land.  The beauty which drapes each lily comes only from above. And if God did this for a flower, how much more will He provide for you and me. No lily is ever forgotten or embarrassed by the thought of not having the proper attire. Rather each one daily models the elaborate design given by the Father.  We have likewise been designed so that the divine designer can lavish our lives with the best of care.  If we truly believe this our worries will be minimal, because we will always be reminded of the fact that we are clothed from above.   

No comments:

Post a Comment