Sunday, March 15, 2015

A Good Brother for Joseph

Have you ever had one of those moments when truth came crashing into your life? The revelation will often be encouraging but sometimes can leave you in a state of shock.  That’s what happened to me recently.  I was reading and reflecting upon the life of Joseph when it hit me. It came as I was relishing in the actions of his brothers and giving in to some pretty enlightening thoughts. Thoughts like: “Man, those guys had some deep-rooted problems; they could have used some serious family counseling.” Of all the issues they wrestled with the greatest were the green-eyed monster called jealousy and the spirit of envy.” Those hideous demons Vine and Webster describe as “the feeling of displeasure produced by witnessing or hearing of the advantage or prosperity of others; feelings of apprehension or bitterness.” Such evil pretenses led them to sell their sibling into slavery. The thought that he was more favored, blessed, and loved than they was unbearable. Oh the joys of looking out the window of humanity and basking in the faults of others! However, the scenery changes when suddenly you find yourself starring into a mirror. That’s when God delivers a “gotcha” moment; when it dawns upon you that you would have made a good character in the story.  Why? The answer for me was pretty apparent.  I realized that more often than not I wrestle with the same feelings. When praying for ministry success I find myself looking at others and asking the question “where is my favor, my blessing; God do you love them more than me?” In reality thoughts and utterances of thanks should be given. The true spirit of kingdom living is one that can celebrate in whatever gifts are given to others by God or man. It is when we can rejoice upon seeing our brother and sister wearing the coat of many colors that has been specifically designed for their life and ministry. After considering my own reflection in the story and offering a prayer of repentance, the thought dawned on me, I could still make a good brother for Joseph. I could be Benjamin—the youngest, the innocent one; the one who could hug his brother’s neck, celebrate his success and his lofty position without the trappings of envy and jealousy.  Which one would you like to be?         

No comments:

Post a Comment