Monday, August 9, 2010

Running The Race

I enjoy running. Although I do it most every day there are those times when I choose not to. It dawned on me recently that I can do this because my running is done out of convenience rather than necessity. When I am busy, tired, or just lazy I can say not today. However, when it comes to the spiritual race there is no such latitude. Paul in Hebrews 12:1 states "Since we are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses let us lay aside every weight that so easily besets us and run with patience the race that is set before us." When I think about this it is necessary that I keep running for three reasons. First, because of those who are ahead of me. I want to assure that great cloud of witnesses that their work has not been in vain. Secondly, I must run because of those who are behind me. They need a legacy to show them the right path to follow. Third, I must run because of those around me. They need my encouragement to stay in the race. So to run or not to run is not an option. I heard something recently that helped put it all in perspective. It goes like this--Every day in Africa the gazelle awakens to the fact that it must run faster than the fastest lion if it is to survive. And every morning the lion awakens to the fact that he must run faster than the gazelle if he is to keep living. So it doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle when morning comes you better be ready to run. That's the way it is with us. When morning comes we must run and run hard that we might finish the race. Our spiritual life and the life of others depend on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment