Monday, September 13, 2010

The Power of a Touch

The gift of a touch is a powerful thing. I conducted the funeral today of a parishioner. One of the last conversations I had with him was about this very subject. Someone had told him that he had been touched by God and he wanted to know what that meant. With my limited ability in the area of interpretation I tried to give him an adequate explanation. I reflected upon the touches we read about in Scripture in order to choose the appropriate one that would fit his situation. I thought about the healing touch in Matthew 8:1-3. Since it was apparent that he was still battling his illness I knew this one did not fit. Going further I thought about the resurrection touch in Luke 7:12-15. Obviously death had not occurred so this one would not apply either. Next, I thought about the testing touch in Job 19:17-21. While this man would have been open to life’s test this one just didn’t seem applicable either. Then I thought about the disabling touch in Genesis 32:24-32. Would he have been up to a wrestling match? Although weak in body I suppose he would have tried. Last of all I considered the sustaining touch in Daniel 10:15-19. This seemed to be the one that made the most sense to me. God in all of our weaknesses shows up with His presence and sustains us so that we are able to endure whatever comes our way. Cecil, being so weak in body needed God’s sustaining touch. I said to him, “being touched of the Lord means that God’s presence has been given to you so that you can feel His nearness as you battle this sickness. God works in different ways. Sometimes He heals us. Other times He gives us His touch in the form of His presence so that we can know He is close by.” Indeed God was near as His sustaining touch became a transitioning touch into eternity. Which leads me to conclude by asking, “What does God’s touch mean to you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment