Sunday, January 30, 2011

Right Perspectives

A few years ago I had to break down and get eyeglasses. The reason of course was that I could no longer see. Although my decision had been postponed for months it was the best thing I could have done. Those glasses gave me a new perspective. When compared to our relationship with God there are times when the hardest thing in the world for us to do is to put on our spiritual glasses and see things in the light of God’s glory. So often our vision becomes distorted. We begin to see up as down and in as out. Our circumstances are magnified way beyond our capability. However, I've found that if we can get past how we see things and how we think they ought to be, we can get a new glimpse of God’s glory and power at work in our lives. Do you see your life from God’s perspective or only from your limited view of how you think things ought to be? We cannot deny the challenges we face in life that seek to bully us. However, we should be reminded of the apostle Paul who was great at seeing his problems in a different light. In Romans 8:18-19 he states, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." He went on to say that we are "more than conquerors through him that loved us." One day little Bobby’s father came into the front room and saw the boy looking out on the street through the big end of a telescope. He said, "Son, that’s not the way you look through a telescope. If you look through it that way, you make the objects look smaller. A telescope is to make things look bigger." But Bobby smiled and said, "Daddy, the bully who’s always beating me up is out on the street. I turned the telescope around because he’s my main problem, and I want to see him smaller than he really is." I don’t know of anything that would reduce the size of our problems in our own eyes more than gaining God’s perspective on them. Too often, our perception allows our circumstances to blind us to our opportunities. Through the Word God has given us spiritual glasses that allows us to see clearly who we are and the potential that has been given us through Christ. Why not put them on they'll make an incredible difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment