Sunday, May 8, 2011

A REASON TO REJOICE

This week all eyes have been glued to the TV awaiting updates on tornado damage as well as the risk of severe flooding in several states. However, no subject has captured our attention more than the killing of Osama Bin Laden. I for one anxiously awaited the report that revealed this headline news. America has felt vindicated and in the words of the president, “justice has been served.” It has been more than a decade ago since Osama masterminded the destruction of the Twin Towers that led to the death of thousands of Americans. As hundreds lined the streets and celebrated, I could not help but ask myself several questions. “Should I be excited about the demise of our arch enemy? Can I take pleasure in the thought of someone dying lost who seemingly was the epitome of Satan himself? Should I even care that he willingly chose to practice a religion that thrives on hate and destruction?” While in my flesh the temptation to join the celebration in the streets was overwhelming, there were several issues that held me back. First, I was reminded of the scripture that states, “vengeance belongs to me says the Lord.” Were the “Navy Seals” right for going in and taking action? Yes, without question. Yet, in spirit our thoughts must be that of good instead of evil. Second, regardless of how demonic a person seems we are to pray for the best and not the worst. To do otherwise is to allow ourselves to drop to the same level of those whose deeds we despise. Last of all, I was reminded that the Father calls upon us to “love those who hate us, to do good to those who despitefully use us and forgive those who frustrate us.” At times this is the most difficult aspect of Christianity to practice. If you’re like me you want to play God attempting to be both judge and jury. However, I realize that we must pray “thy kingdom come; Thy will be done.” When doing this, we have the guarantee that justice will be served. Although we may only see parts of that justice revealed, eventually we know that God will see that every deed receives due judgment. Knowing this allows me to experience a sense of peace and gives me a definite reason to rejoice. Hopefully, you will agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment