Sunday, May 15, 2011

What is your Story?

On Monday of this past week I was called to the hospital. Upon arriving I made my way into the room of the patient who had summoned me. I sat and listened as she told her remarkable story. She had survived a deadly tornado that had ripped through her little community just days earlier. However, her husband had not been so fortunate. He had died while trying to hold on to and protect the family pets. I was intrigued as she told me of that fearful night. She and her companion had stayed awake listening to the weather reports of the impending storm. Finally, when feeling the threat of danger was over they went to bed. Then without warning they were awakened by an incredible roar. The 140 mile an hour winds blew apart their little home taking both of them with it. She with tear filled eyes told me about her experience. “I was conscious of everything while flying through the air. I was praying “God help me” when suddenly it was as if He took me in his hands and set me back down softly on the earth.” Although she had some broken bones due to being hit by one of her household appliances, she was alive. What followed next was her account of being rescued by some college students who had come to the neighborhood in search of family and friends. After hearing her faint voice, the beam of their flashlight fell upon her face. Joyfully she was carried to safety. Needless to say this visit left me with an indelible impression. First, I thought what a miracle it was that she survived. Greater still was the fact that here was a person who had suffered a traumatic event that resulted in personal injury and the loss of family members, yet she was filled with optimism and praise. I left saying to myself, “wow what an incredible testimony.” As I reflected upon this later, I was reminded that all of us have a story to tell. We all have those experiences that we encounter where God intervenes in our lives. Granted it may not be to the magnitude of this lady, yet we all have a story to tell. Upon leaving that hospital room I was asked to do one thing. “Please tell my story.” I have fulfilled that request. Now I ask you “what is your story?”

No comments:

Post a Comment