Monday, October 17, 2011

A Split Second Decision

This past week I traveled to another city to make a hospital visit. Entering this town has become something I dread more and more because of all the traffic light cameras. My nerves are put on edge as I drive through each intersection. While it is not my intention to breach the law by running through a light that has turned red, the possibility of it happening is an ever present reality. That reality happened on Monday. Upon my approach the light turned orange. I applied the brakes but realized that coming to a stop would leave me in the middle of the street so I made the split second decision to race ahead hoping to beat the light before it changed. Needless to say my choice was not a good one. Seeing the glare of red looming before me as my car raced through left me frustrated and momentarily depressed. I knew a quick snap of the camera had captured my transgression. All that is left now is the mailman delivering the proof. However, waiting for the ticket to come in the mail has given me some time to contemplate. In doing so, some key spiritual principles have surfaced that I hope will be as helpful to you as they have been to me. First, is the realization that all of us have the potential to make quick decisions. Secondly, is the fact that when made they bring on repercussions. Even greater is the truth that they cannot be reversed. They become history only to be reflected upon. Just as important is the fact that a quick decision may lead to a bad experience but not necessarily a lifestyle. Finally, we must find the will to move on which reminds me of the words of Jesus that seem so appropriate here. “Go and sin no more.” This means, wherever your decisions lead you they don’t have to keep you. Don’t let a “split second decision” last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment