Sunday, June 17, 2012

Being a Successful Father

In his book, God’s Psychiatry, Charles Allen tells of a mother who carried her little boy to the zoo. He was asking about each of the animals, and when he saw some little ones in a cage, he asked, “What are those?” The mother told him they were little wildcats. He then asked, “Why are they wildcats?” Allen responds, “We know the answer. Their mamas and papas were wildcats.”  Children are most often a reflection of their parents and they live their lives according to the principles they see in them. Because of this it is so vital that fathers be proper role models.  As I reflect over my life, I am thankful God allowed me to have a father who gave me the proper example to follow. Being a dad myself, I realize the challenge this presents. Life is filled with all kinds of difficulties which provide numerous opportunities for one to demonstrate what fatherhood should not be.  My father faced more than his share of these yet remained steady keeping the faith. He showed me that it could be done and encouraged me to do the same. He also provided the means by which one leaves such a legacy. The strength comes by honoring and seeking the heavenly Father.  I like what General Douglas MacArthur once said in reference to this.  “By profession I am a soldier and take pride in that fact.  But I am prouder to be a father. My hope is that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from battle, but in the home repeating with him one simple prayer, “Our Father which art in heaven.”  This is a memory that should be etched in the minds of all our children. It’s not optional but comes with the responsibility of being a successful father.

No comments:

Post a Comment