Sunday, January 12, 2014

Enemy Number One—Fear

Charles Sawyer, former U.S. Secretary of Commerce (under Harry Truman), told about the planeload of people flying across the Atlantic; a voice came on the intercom: “We are now flying at 35,000 feet. If you will notice, out the right window, the two engines on that side are on fire, and the engines on the left had to be stopped. If you look directly below, you will see a yellow sea recovery raft with six small dots on it. The dots are the pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer, navigator, and two hostesses. This is a recording.” Have you ever wanted to bail out when experiencing fear?  I think we all have. However, to capitalize upon the moments God places before us, we have to learn to live beyond our fears.  I ask “What are you afraid of and how is that fear affecting your life.”  If you look around you will see people doing some pretty weird things when becoming fearful.  What is it that you are doing or not doing because of fear? I think this could very well be our number one spiritual enemy. It certainly was a force recognized by Paul, and being so he wrote in 2 Timothy 1:7 God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” To many, fear is the barrier that keeps them from utilizing a gift or a shovel to help them bury a talent. For others it is the door that holds them captive in a dark room or the arena that causes some to give way to public egotism. Regardless of how it affects you, the important thing to know is your enemy can be crushed.  Fear is actually the opposite of faith. The first is formulated by listening to the lies of the devil, the latter by giving heed to the word of God. Because of this, our number one enemy can be crushed and the devil’s lies dismantled when we cling to the facts of scripture rather than mere assumptions. David understood the strategy for victory and revealed it in Psalm 27. “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war should rise against me, in this I will be confident. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; in the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.” Here is a man who has found the secret to dealing with enemy number one. His confidence in the word of the Lord gives him the assurance that all will be well when there is the threat of fear. We have the same guaranteeing us victory even when seemingly being in the face of defeat. So, carry-on but do so without fear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment