Sunday, January 26, 2014

Speaking the Same Language

My six year old grandson had a conversation with his sister a few mornings ago on the way to school.  He said out of the blue, “Addi I need to get a new girlfriend.” She responded “What girlfriend?” He said, “My girlfriend at school. I think it’s time to break up.” Addison starts laughing and says, “Brody I didn’t know you had a girlfriend.”  “Yea, she’s Spanish, but I gotta breakup.” She asked “why Brody?” “Cause every time she gets mad at me I can’t understand a thing she says---she starts speakin that crazy language. Addison said laughing…”Well Brody, I don’t know what to tell you. He replied, “well I’ll tell you Addi…I’ve gotta get me a girlfriend that speaks my language.” This humorous story prompted me to ask a question, “Is there times when God wishes He had another people? Does He ever get weary because we often speak a different language?” Lest some misunderstand, the language I’m speaking of is not that of Spanish, French, German, or even English.  All of these are unique and beautiful; the creation of God given to each ethnic group for unity and connectivity. No, the language I have in mind has to do with love, mercy, kindness and forgiveness. Sometimes we humans are not on the same wave length as God.  A good case in point is the story of the woman caught in adultery who was brought before Jesus. The religious crowd spoke words of judgment but God used the language of grace. And we can’t forget about Zaccheus who was considered the off scour of the community; while described as a despicable sinner, the Master clothed him with sensitivity making him a saint. Yes, we have to admit that there are times when we communicate differently from God. However, the same opportunities Jesus had, we have. We are destined to meet those who have been labeled losers; people who have been beaten and bruised by the thoughtless remarks of humanity. In doing so we are called upon by the Father to speak words seasoned with compassion that help to heal the wounded. In other words we are invited to join forces with the Creator who formed and created us in His image in order that we could speak the same language.           


No comments:

Post a Comment