Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Vapor of Life

In the book of James we find an often used passage. “For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.” Normally we hear it read and addressed at funerals or in evangelistic settings.  And although it may seem like a strange passage to write on in reference to Mother’s Day, I think it’s very appropriate. Let me explain why. When thinking about the life of Jesus a few days ago I found it really interesting that in Scripture, his life is presented to us in three brief segments. There is his birth, his trip to the temple when twelve, the start of his ministry and then his death somewhere around the age of thirty-three.  While it could be said the Holy Spirit chose to limit total disclosure of his life, in this blog I would rather like to think He did so for a purpose--to show us the brevity of life. Life passes so quickly. I can’t believe my son just turned forty and my daughter will be 37 in a few days. I can’t believe our oldest grandchild is 16, old enough to have her own car.  Time flies by! The weeks and years pass so fast.  Mary at some point may have said, “Wow where did the years go.” Jesus himself may have thought “my goodness I can’t believe my life has passed by so quickly.” In any event because of its brevity I think we should take note especially when thinking of Mothers. Moms I would encourage you to cherish every diaper changed, bottle washed, ballgame attended, conversation held, and every picture taken. That two-year old will turn twenty-two in a vapor. Sons and daughters take note of the deeds done; prayers prayed, words of wisdom spoken, trips taken and hugs given. Your mother’s dark hair will turn a distinguished gray and her fair skin will wrinkle with age in a vapor.  Given this reality for those of you whose mother has already passed on take every opportunity to reflect upon the good times and the legacy she left you. For the rest who continue to be blessed by her presence, take advantage of every occasion to communicate your appreciation and love; because in the end all the time spent will seem like a vapor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment